Preparing for 2016 in Real Estate
Posted: December 19, 2015 by Steven Keefe
Success in real estate requires specific action. I have been asked over the last 30 days many times by my team members... "How do I prepare for success in 2016?". There is no one path to success in todays real estate market, but there are some things to consider that will enhance the opportunities for 2016.
Consider this approach when looking for improvement:
- Choose your own path- Choose what you really want in life if you have a passion for the real estate business, commit to it and commit to providing the highest level of services through hard work and professionalism.
- Make a Resolution- Focus your energy and attention on a limited number of goals and you will increase the probability of success. I would choose no more than 3 major goals you are going to commit to and resolve to complete. These goals must be SMART goals Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time based.
- Create a Plan- A goal without clear steps is just wishful thinking. The chances of succeeding without a plan is significantly diminished.
- Create a Plan NOW- Those who wait capitulate! In spite of what we hear about broken resolutions, those who make the commitment are 10 times more likely to succeed than those who don't put their plan in action. If it is worth doing, it is worth committing to TODAY!
- Tell Your Friends and Family- If others know what your goal is, you are going to get asked about it which will give you motivation to keep at it. Even better is to find an accountability partner to discuss your objectives. They will remind you and keep you on track to get it done. Anyone can be an accountability partner, pick one who will hold your feet to the fire.
- Remind Yourself of the Benefits- Reaching a goal or objective has huge payoffs to you. Keep the end in mind. Remind yourself often what it will be like when the goal is achieved. What will it mean to you... that will keep the fire going and help you reach for it.
- Reward Yourself for Hitting the Milestones- Every goal that is achieved has milestones along the way, those significant steps that lead to the end. In the planning stage pick those milestones and plan for rewards at each significant step of the way. Each step will become more exciting if you now there is something special for you when you make it.
- Develop a Ritual- This business can be all consuming... many don't have a set schedule. Those who achieve have specific non-negotiable time set aside to take them closer to those things they want to achieve. Success comes from knowing what needs to be done, establishing the tasks and setting aside time to make sure it gets done.
- Expect an Occasional Setback- Convince yourself that challenges and difficulties are part of the process and temporary. Learn to expect them and never allow them to be a reason to give up. Good things happen to those who perservere. We only become better and stronger with every challenge. Jim Rohn says "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better."
Using these simple reminders will assist you in reaching for it in 2016. Everyone wants more, the hard part is determining what "more" means and sitting down to create the action plan to achieve it.
Good luck and lets make 2016 the best year ever!